The Artificial Intelligence Summer Institute (AISI) will collaborate with Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) scientists on solving problems of national and scientific interest, engage in educational and professional development opportunities, explore career opportunities at national laboratories, and interact with and present their research to ORNL’s scientists.
As part of the summer institute, students will be organized into teams with diverse educational backgrounds and develop their skills to help solve scientific challenges using artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data science. They will learn from ORNL mentors who have expertise in artificial intelligence and machine learning and/or domain sciences such as physics, materials, or biology. Students will participate in educational and professional development seminar series. They will also learn and participate in scientific communication exercises to prepare them for a career in scientific research, including oral and poster presentations and technical reports.
The program is scheduled to begin on June 10, 2019, and end on August 16, 2019. An earlier starting date may be requested for program consideration, but the end date cannot be prior to August 16.
Selections will be made on a rolling basis with the first round of selections starting January 1, 2019, and selections continuing until 10 applicants have been chosen. Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2019. To be considered for selection, applications must be fully completed and submitted and two recommendations must be received within the Zintellect system. Applicants will be notified when selections are completed. For best chance of selection, you must complete your application as soon as possible.
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate (must be a rising junior or higher at time of application) in a degree-seeking program at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university at time of application
o If graduating before start of appointment, must provide proof of acceptance/enrollment for fall 2019 in a degree-seeking program at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university (provide with application if available or by May 1, 2019 if selected)
- Or have graduated with a bachelor’s degree in the last six months (at time of application) from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
o Must provide proof of acceptance/enrollment for fall 2019 in a graduate degree program at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university (provide with application if available or by May 1, 2019 if selected)
- Or be currently enrolled in a master’s degree-seeking program at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university at time of application
- Or have graduated with a master’s degree in the last six months (at time of application) from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
- Or be a current Ph.D. student or Ph.D. candidate at time of application
- Have a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Be 18 years of age
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) at time of application
For more information, please contact HERE@orau.org.
- Undergraduate News