National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) Scholars Connect Program
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 14, 2019, 11:59 PM ET
The NIEHS Scholars Connect Program (NSCP) is designed to provide a unique opportunity for highly motivated science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) focused undergraduate students to solidly connect with NIEHS and receive frontier-level training in biomedical research. Students in NSCP have an opportunity for hands-on mentored research experiences, as well as professional and personal development. The Program is committed to encouraging students to pursue careers in scientific investigation, both basic and clinical. Scientists at NIEHS are committed to sharing with students and educators the intensity, excitement, sense of discipline, and tremendous satisfaction that careers in science can impart to those who pursue them.
The Scholars Connect Program invites applications from students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) as well as students from all other academic institutions within the commuting area. NIEHS is located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. NSCP is committed to increasing diversity in environmental health science.
The Program offers:
- An academic-year (3 semesters) paid biomedical research internship
- Career mentoring from NIEHS investigators
- An opportunity to present findings to the NIEHS community, and at other conferences
- Opportunities to attend scientific talks by leading investigators, as well as specially designed professional and career development seminars.
To supplement research training and experience, Scholars will also
- Attend mandatory Orientation, Science Boot Camp, and the Scholars Seminar Series
- With the help of mentors, define a project, construct and test the hypothesis, analyze the results, draw conclusions, and report the results
- Meet regularly with the Program Coordinator and/or OSED Director
- Present an formal update of their projects at the end of each Connection (semester)
- Submit additional assignments (i.e., End-of-Connection Evaluation, Reflection)
Stipend: ~ $2000/month (Summer Connection); ~ $800/month (Fall and Spring Connections)
Time Commitment: Full-time internship (40 hours/week) during the Summer Connection; Part-time (15 hours/week) during the Fall and Spring Connections
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (no exceptions).
- Applicants must live within commuting distance of Research Triangle Park, North Carolina area.
- Currently enrolled, full-time or part-time (at least half-time) in a degree granting program as a junior or senior in an Undergraduate STEM major
- Good academic standing- Should have at least 3.0 cumulative GPA and preferably a 3.5+ GPA in STEM courses.
- A strong interest or pursuing studies in disciplines related to biomedical research.
For additional information visit; https://www.niehs.nih.gov/careers/research/scholars/index.cfm
For a full description of this opportunity and to submit your application, visit https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/NIEHS2018-01.
If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate News