Budapest semesters in Mathematics – Fall 2020 Online Learning Opportunity
BSM Fall 2020 Online Learning Opportunity
We are accepting applications from undergraduate students and recent graduates in the Math Community to participate in this online small group enrichment program. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in an advanced math course taught by our BSM Professors in Hungary. If you have some extra time while at home or at school in the fall, think about a virtual BSM class.
Eligibility: BSM prerequisite is to have successfully completed either Abstract Algebra or Real Analysis. (or both)
BSM is not charging tuition or issuing transferable credit to your home school. However, there will be a small enrollment fee to reserve a space on a course. Upon completion of your studies each student who successfully completes the course will receive a BSM Gradesheet (non-credit) and a BSM t-shirt. Participation in this program can be listed on graduate school applications or CV/resumes for internships.
BSM is offering five online courses and multiple research group experiences. Students will be able to choose up to 2 courses. Fall 2020 online courses and their descriptions can be found on the Hungarian webpage of BSM: http://www.bsmath.hu/CURRENT/Courses.html
- Courses are 2 hours each day and will be held either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. (In the U.S–11am-1pm EST; 10am -12pm CST; 9am-11am MST; 8am-10-am PST)
- Research groups will meet once per week.
- An optional Hungarian Plus class (language, culture and society) will be offered for those who are interested and is scheduled for after the meeting of the regular math courses. No cost for this class.
See http://www.bsmath.hu/CURRENT/Schedule.html for the final schedules.
Course Delivery/Tech Requirement
BSM uses Zoom for online meetings. You do not need to have a Zoom account in order to participate. However, you will have to download a Zoom app to your device, in order to be able to connect to class meetings. We strongly encourage all students to have access to high quality internet and a computer with webcam and microphone.
How to Apply
- Complete an application form (no cost) found here: APPLY HERE
- 1 letter of recommendation from Mathematics faculty (required). An email request for the letter is automatically sent to the faculty person you list in your application.
- 1 unofficial transcript emailed to Deb Fleming at email@example.com
- In addition, those wishing to participate in a research course should submit solutions to qualifying problems by August 15th as explained on the class homepage at http://www.bsmath.hu/CURRENT/TDKsyllabus.html
Application deadline is August 15, 2020. Acceptance emails will be sent by August 24th. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until classes are filled.
Limited Course Capacity
In order to maintain a small interactive experience, we are limiting the enrollment to 8-10 students per class. Should demand for courses exceed our limits, we may offer additional sections/courses.
Due to limited space, each student will pay an enrollment fee of $50 per course to secure a place in the course. Upon completion of the course, the student will receive a BSM gradesheet (useful for those planning to attend graduate school who may wish to communicate their performance informally to graduate program admissions), and a BSM logo shirt.
The 50$ per course enrollment fee is payable (after acceptance) to Budapest Semesters with a check mailed to:
c/o St. Olaf College
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
Academic Calendar http://www.bsmath.hu/CURRENT/Logistics.html
Welcome and Orientation: September 4, 2020
Classes begin: September 7, 2020
No class: November 26, 2020 (Thanksgiving Holiday)
Classes end: December 11, 2020