Undergraduate News

NCSU Nonprofit Minor

>>>Advisors: Please share this email with students who are interested in adding a NONPROFIT focus to their degree <<<

Sponsored by the School of Public and International Affairs

In the School of Public and International Affairs at NC State University, the Nonprofit Studies minor provides classroom experiences and hands-on service learning opportunities with community organizations build students’ knowledge, confidence and skills for effective leadership. Students learn about the development and governance of nonprofits as well as the political, social and economic roles of nonprofit and social sector organizations.

LEARN MORE

The minor in Nonprofit Studies is a strong complementary course of study for students with majors offered across the NC State campus including CommunicationEnglishHistoryPolitical SciencePsychologySocial WorkParks Recreation and TourismForestryBusiness ManagementArt and DesignEducationand more. The minor in Nonprofit Studies enables students to explore the interconnections between their chosen field and the nonprofit sector. 

COURSE CATALOG

About the Coursework of this 16-Credit Hour Minor

• Required courses: PS 203 Introduction to Nonprofits, COM 466 Nonprofit Leadership and Development, HI 380 History of Nonprofits, Philanthropy and Social Change
  • Some elective courses include a range of nonprofit-related courses throughout several majors

Profiles from the Minor:

Faculty in the Minor:

Ryne Crout Jones:

Current 3rd year PhD student in the Department of Public Administration and one of the instructors for PS203 – Introduction to the Nonprofit Sector.

From French to Nonprofits, he has over a decade of teaching experience. After working as a nonprofit consultant, he embarked on the PhD journey, where his research interests include nonprofit management and decision making, organizational change and learning, and philanthropy.

Hear from a Student:

Sierra Hockenbury, Class of 2024:

Q: What was your favorite part of being involved in the minor?

“I loved getting hands-on experience in the Nonprofit sector during my internships. I was able to grasp the ins and outs of working for a Nonprofit organization, and it was so rewarding to see how I could make a difference by using my knowledge gained from the minor.” 

Q: How did the minor help you achieve your professional goals?

“Participating in the Nonprofit Minor provided me with so many opportunities and connections that I would have otherwise missed out on. I met peers, professors, and professionals who all had a similar passion for having a positive impact on the community and serving others. In completing the degree requirements, I was able to work with a local Nonprofit organization in the planning of various volunteer events throughout Raleigh. This gave me an extensive look into what working in the Nonprofit sector looked like, and led me to the decision to further my education with the hope of managing a Nonprofit organization in the future.”

How to Apply

Students can apply for admission to any university minor program in MyPack Portal. Admission will be based on the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.

If you have any questions about the minor, email Dr. Amanda Stewart at ajstewa5@ncsu.edu

Click Here to Navigate to “How to Add a Minor”