I entered phased retirement on July 1, 2021. My title is (and I am not making this up) “named professor emeritus”, which is the best NCSU could come up with.
I will be in SAS hall 3–4 days/week when I’m in town until NCSU evicts me from SAS 3234 on July 1, 2024.
My phased retirement projects include two books, two NSF grants, and one DOE grant.
I will not agree to serve on any new student committees unless (1) I am collaborating with the student on research or (2) the student is part of the CEMeNT project.
PhD Applied Mathematics Purdue University 1976
Area(s) of Expertise
Nonlinear equations, multilevel methods, large-scale and multi-model optimization, flow in porous media, nano-scale electronics and sensing, radiative and neutron transfer, optimal control, integral equations, partial differential equations, computational chemistry.
Honors and Awards
- Drexel Professor of Mathematics
- SIAM Fellow
- Editor-in-chief SIAM J. Optimization (2000-2004)
- SIAM Vice President for Publications (2006-2009)
- Editor-in-chief, SIAM Review (2011 -- 2016)
- SIAM Board of Trustees (2011 -- 2019, Chair 2012 -- 2019)
- AAAS Fellow