Scholarships and Fellowships
Mathematics Department Scholarships
The Mathematics Department awards the following scholarships each year, generally in June, to continuing math majors. Usually these scholarships are given to students who do not already have a major scholarship from NC State. Amounts may vary year to year based on fund availability.
- Charles N. Anderson (For an outstanding sophomore in mathematics.)
- H. Thomas and Sue Banks
- Rebecca Bullock (For an outstanding math major who has also demonstrated an interest in the English language, typically through coursework.)
- Mrs. Roberts C. Bullock (For an outstanding math major who has demonstrated need and has shown proficiency in English.)
- John W. Cell (For an outstanding rising junior or senior in mathematics.)
- Marvin and Mary Chaney
- Gordon Family
- Charles F. Lewis (For an outstanding senior who is double-majoring in math and math education.)
- James W. Mauney
- Carey G. Mumford (For an outstanding sophomore, junior or senior in mathematics education.)
- Hubert V. and Mary Alice Park (For an outstanding rising junior or senior in mathematics.)
- Howard A. Petrea (For an outstanding rising junior or senior in mathematics.)
- Fulton and Ruby Starling
- Jo-Ann Cohen and Daniel Teague
Other NC State Scholarships
If you have financial need, be sure to visit the NC State financial aid web site.
There are several very prestigious undergraduate scholarships that math students should consider applying for. Talk to the people in the Fellowship Advising Office for advice and further information.
- MoneyGeek.com: Prestigious Scholarships for Graduate Students
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship (The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is similar to the Rhodes Scholarship, but it funds study at Cambridge rather than Oxford. Preference is given to students in science and technology areas. Four NC State math majors have received a Gates Scholarship.)
- Churchill Scholarship (This program funds one year of study in selected STEM disciplines at Churchill College, University of Cambridge.)
- Goldwater (Seven NC State math majors have received Goldwater Scholarships.)
- Fulbright Scholarship (One NC State math major has received a Fulbright.)
- Actuarial Foundation Scholarship (For students interested in actuarial science.)
- Truman Scholarship
- Udall Scholarship
- James Madison Fellowship
National Graduate Fellowships
Students interested in going to graduate school should consider applying for a graduate fellowship. Information on the following fellowships is available at the Fellowship Advising Office.
- National Science Foundation (More than 25 NC State math majors have won NSF Fellowships, and several have been awarded honorable mention.)
- The U.S. Department of Defense NDSEG and Smart Scholarship.(Three NC State math majors have won DoD Fellowships.)
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (For students interested in interdisciplinary programs.)
- Graduate Fellowships for Stem Diversity for women and minorities.